Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Lessons Learned and Lessons Still Learning.

As I begin to prepare to return to the States I find myself reflecting on a lot of the things I have learned here…

- People have a great capacity for love and compassion if you just give them the opportunity to show it - courtesy of various prison visits and visits with people whose situations could be considered very troubling.
- I have learned how to tie child to my back with a Kanga – courtesy of countless women throughout our time here.
- You can fit a surprising number of people and their packages into a mini-van sized vehicle – courtesy of many daladala rides crammed with easily over 25 people.
- Cars are not an absolutely necessary means of transportation – courtesy of a country where the majority of people walk or ride bikes to get to their destination, even if it is several miles away.
- Rain is a genuine blessing for which we should praise God – courtesy of a country where the primary source of income is derived from agricultural ventures so rain is seen as a great blessing.
- Power outages don’t mean that there is nothing to do, rather they signify a time to spend with friends and loved ones without distractions – courtesy of Anna, Flo, and Natalie and our power outage sing-along and hours of sitting in the company of friends.
- People and relationships take primary importance. Money and things can come and go but well nurtured relationships with people can last a lifetime – courtesy of a country where people are valued over possessions.
- Patience is really a virtue – courtesy of a slow internet connection.
- Allowing people to disrupt what you are doing is a blessing and it allows friendships to blossom – courtesy of hours spent trying to study/work in the common room only to find myself interrupted by teachers or new friends who want to talk or ask a favor.
- Simplicity, understanding, love, peace, and compassion – courtesy of this beautiful country.
- Life is what you make it – courtesy of many conversations with Bariki about the differences between life here and in the States.
- A smile can travel across miles and can cross any language barrier – courtesy of hundreds of little kids who have opened up to me, despite language barriers, through smiles.
- Blonde is beautiful and unique – courtesy of all the kids who have snuck a touch of my hair because it looked so nice and soft.
- The hippie generation had it right (before the drug explosion) ... love for all people, peace, and hope are concepts that are universal and could bring the world together – courtesy of this beautiful country and these amazing people.
- The US can make a decision that will make the world community stand up and cheer for us – courtesy of Barack Obama’s election and people here from all over the world who are happy for us and pleased with our decision.
- Conditioner leaves a beautiful, lasting smell in your hair that is often taken for granted – courtesy of a recent shower with my first use of conditioner in three months.
- Long hair definitely holds the heat in and warms your head quite quickly – courtesy of countless days spent in the beating sun with my head starting to sweat.
- I’ve learned how to hand wash just about everything article of clothing I own – courtesy of three months worth of washing jeans, shorts, t-shirts, a zip-up hoodie, etc.
- Solidarity and genuine conversation with people is the only way you can learn about their lives – courtesy of hours spent talking to people from all walks of life.

Clearly some things have a greater impact than others. And there are many things that I have only started to earn that I will continue to realize and learn once I return. This trip has taught me so much already and I know I will never forget this experience and it will always be a large part of who I am.
Peace.


**** As the days wind down, I ask that if there are any remaining questions you have that you would like me to address, please, please, please leave a comment and I will address them in an upcoming post.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I made wreath cookies last night with Mike. It was fun, but its not the same not having you around to make them with :(

Unknown said...

I have two questions.... did you learn how to do the singing/trilling technique? And did you make any videos/audio tapes of swahili conversation? I can't imagine the sound of it between people having a back and forth conversation.