Monday, September 15, 2008

Asante sana squash banana - Thank you very much squash banana?

We started Swahili class today. They actually changed the way they are teaching it for right now since a group of 5 new people also came to the school today, so we have lecture-style classes of 9 people in the common room every day. After this week, we will have one-on-one class for a week and then it will be back to large group lecture.
Today we only covered one lesson - greetings - and then our teacher gave us the afternoon off. :) So far the teaching style has been 'here's a phrase, learn the responses and memorize it' - rather difficult for an analytical language learner like me. But what doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right? It just gives me an opportunity to reinforce the language when I go through and put it all into a style I can learn better.
Other than the language class, nothing much is new here. Our daily schedule with language class is pretty simple:
7:00 Breakfast
7:45 Devotion
8:00 - 10:00 Class
10:00 Tea Time
10:30 - 12:00 Class
12:00 - 2:00 Lunch
2:00 - 4:00 Class
4:00 Tea Time
6:00 Dinner

Our nights are free and I have been spending a lot of my time in the common room - it almost always has someone in it so it isn't as lonely as my room can get.
But that's not to say that I am lonely by any means! There is a very nice German girl, Anna, who is 19. She took a year off before college and is spending the year working in the Kindergarten here at the language school. It has been really nice to have her here since I am the only girl from our Wartburg group. But I find myself separating myself from the group a lot and trying to get to know the rest of the student at the school, instead of spending all my time with the boys. They are quite the traveling companions. Each have their own little quirks. Peter likes the wildlife and is always on the lookout for animals, and when he isn't 'hunting' he likes to crack jokes at everything. Tim is usually very composed and serious about religion and politics but then he has this immature side to him that loves to make everything a joke. Finally, Steve is very quite but when he speaks up it is almost always the very last thing you expected him (or anyone, for that matter) to say. The most important thing is that we are all meshing really well - which is crucial to any trip. Tomorrow Anna and I are planning on going to Morogoro to buy some fabric. It'll be my first trip by bus to Morogoro and I can't wait.
I am surrising myself on this trip with my independence and willingness to go outside of my comfort zone. I went into the trip thinking that I'd be lonely and cling to the boys for companionship, but I've actually spent very little time with them outside of the village visits nd class, and as a result, I've gotten to know several of our fellow language school students. I honestly could not ask for more.
Peace.


Tim, Peter, Me, and Steve
(don't hold it against me that it is a bad picture)

No comments: