Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Moved by the Spirit

I apologize that this is coming rather late, but I wanted to post about this past weekend. Saturday, we didn’t have anywhere to go so we just hung out around the LJS – I did laundry and then Hilary (an artist) came with some ebony carvings, postcards, and jewelry. The artwork was all absolutely beautiful and each piece seemed flawless. Then Sunday was a big day for us. We went to a village about a 45 min. drive away for Christina’s (Luka’s daughter) baptism. We crammed 11 people into PH’s 8 person SUV – thankfully the drive was a relatively short one. We finally got to spend time with Luka’s niece (Lucy) and nephew (Baraka) – he basically took over their upbringing after his brother passed away. When we got to the village there was already one choir ready in the church. As time passed, more choirs came and soon enough we had to move outside since 4 different choirs had come. While we were waiting for everyone and everything to get situated, I got to spend some time with Lucy – and adorable 9 year-old who embraces the responsibility of taking care of her new little ‘sister’ Christina. Lucy seemed fascinated by my hair – she loved playing with it, styling it, and even just touching it. But what I admired about her most was Lucy’s amazing maternal instinct, even at age 9. She loved holding the babies and knew exactly how to calm them when they cried! This came in handy since there seemed to be babies everywhere – I think I ended up holding a child for most of the service - which, by the way lasted 5 hours. With so many choirs, each one was given the chance to sing at any opportunity. It was amazing to hear the variety among the choirs – each was different and each one appreciated the music of the others.
Music has always been a big part of my life, so for many of you, this comes as no surprise. I love watching people sing – they move around (not like us Midwestern Lutherans!) and let the music move them. But sometimes I shut my eyes and just listen. Without fail, you can hear the passion and conviction with which everyone sings. Songs are not just a way to break up the monotony of a service, they are a statement of faith and they are the Spirit moving through and among the people. I love it. Too often, back home, we sing the songs (or don’t) simply because they are in the bulletin and that’s what we do. How often do we actually look at the words of the songs and let the words move us? I'll be the first to admit, I have made fun of the Christian Cd commercials where they show people dancing and crying to the music – but I’m starting to realize that perhaps they have the right idea. For them, the words mean something. I am developing a new found appreciation for music as a part of worship – perhaps there is more to connect with when we really get into the words of the songs we sing in church.
I challenge you, next time you are in a worship service or even just singing to God by yourself, to let the Spirit move through you and belt out the tune. Even if you aren’t the best singer, God doesn’t care, he cares about connecting with you and moving through you in everything you do.
Peace.

1 comment:

Emily said...

This is wonderful Smatch!

While I was there, I too often found myself just closing my eyes and taking in the spirit of the words and people around me that could be felt through the songs. Remember these times Sarah. I can't tell you how often I just sit with my eyes closed recalling the sounds of the spirit to bring my joy in stressful situations. This is something you will always have. Remember the value of it.

Thanks for keeping this blog- it has helped me to feel the part of my heart I so willingly left in Tanzania.

Peace and Blessings to you-
RaRa