Monday, November 17, 2008

Prison Week

Let's see, this past week we (well Peter and I) went to a total of 3 different prisons – the first was for the meeting on Tuesday, the second was a guard’s wedding on Saturday, and the third was a confirmation/baptism service at the youth prison. All of them were amazing in their own way. As hot and long as the day ended up being, Sunday would have to be my favorite. There were seven choirs – one Massai, one from a nearby all-girls high school, one Anglican, and the other 4 were local choirs of adults. It was great and each choir definitely had their own style of music and sound. Then of the two kids baptized, one was Waswahili and the other Massai. Finally, there were six people confirmed – one Massai boy, two prisoners, and three Waswahili. After the service there was an auction and then everyone was fed – which was a miracle in itself since the church was packed and then there were people sitting outside of the church as well.
I suppose, in retrospect, I loved this service because it showed some of the best of Tanzania – that people of different backgrounds are able to come together peacefully for a joyous celebration. I love that about being here – it is (mostly) a peaceful coexistence of different peoples. I think so often we get caught up in the little things that make us different from one another and we so easily forget that we are connected to one another and we are all human beings who deserve the same type of respect and compassion.

As the time begins to draw near for us to head back home to the States, I wonder how life will be different and I wonder how I will cope with it. I know that deep in my heart I will long to return to this place and reunite with the people who have been here with me through this experience. As I continue to talk to Godfrey through email (since he is studying at university now) we end almost each email with I will see you again. I will never forget the day I told him what I wanted to do in the future (work abroad in either the NGO sphere or in the religious sphere), he seemed to perk up and he told me that one day we might meet again if I return here. In our last email exchange (which was largely in Kiswahili, which makes me proud of my Kiswahili skills) I told him that I have fallen in love with Tanzania and I have decided that I would definitely like to work here, his response was ‘nasema karibu sanaaaaaaaaaaa’ (I say you are very welcome [to come back here]). In a weird way it gives me hope that I will one day return here. I don’t much want to come back to ‘save the poor Tanzanians’ I want to walk beside them and be here to support the people here. I guess it is all summed up in one of my favorite quotes…
"If you have come to help me you are wasting your time. If you have come because your liberation is bound to my liberation, then lest us move forward." - Indigenous leader
I think it sums up my experiences here – we are all bound to one another and we cannot go into another culture to simply make them like us, if we go we need to walk alongside them and let them lead through their culture while standing beside them and supporting our fellow human beings.
Peace.


Goats in church for offering again - it never gets old.
Preaching at the church door so the people outside can hear too.
- note the UNHCR tarp outside.
The six, diverse confirmands.
Choir at the wedding.
My travel companions climbing around.
The church at the youth prison all decorated for the celebration.
Praying with the couple before the wedding.

No comments: