Thursday, October 9, 2008

When Modernization Goes Bad

I apologize for the break in posts... I promise that the next few days will be filled with plenty to make up for my recent lack of updates. With that said...

I often find myself walking around the LJS grounds thinking, taking in the sights and sounds, and reflecting on what I have seen or experienced so far. One thing that has stood out for me is the amount of trash that is often over abundant. It is almost painful to see – trash is thrown to the side with nearly no regard for the earth. I doubt that it is a result of people not caring about the environment (since this is a culture that is so very tied to the land). But you can tell that it is modern things polluting the ground – walking around you can find plastic bags, bottles, and plastic wrapping.
When I was walking with Kirsten yesterday, she told me about her frustration along these lines. We passed a group of secondary school students sweeping the dirt paths (not an uncommon sight). She commented on how it is almost wasteful to have the students sweep the paths when they are only sweeping the clutter out of the way. Trash isn’t being picked up, only pushed aside. She made a very valid point that people cannot learn to keep clean and prevent littering when there are no trash cans nearby (I believe her direct quote was, “Are they just supposed to put the trash in their pockets?”).
Like I said, I highly doubt that it is a lack of concern for the earth. I am led to believe that the issue is a disparity in modernization. When people receive modern products in modern (not biodegradable) packaging but do not have the resources to supply sufficient recycling bins or trash receptacles, there becomes a problem with disposal.
… Just an observation that I keep running into.
But on the other hand, there are many things that are done well here – most of which, I think are almost accidental or due to financial restrictions. One of which is the use of recycled glass soda bottles rather than using cans for everything. Most of the time, soda is sold in glass bottles and then they are returned, washed, and reused – saving a great deal of money, resources, and cutting down on trash. But the other great thing (also out of financial restriction) is that the preferred mode of transportation is bike or foot. While there are still a great deal of people driving and PLENTY of people riding in the dala dalas (the mini buses used to take people into town), a great majority of people are either walking or riding a bike or walking most places. I can only imagine that Tanzania’s air pollution (at least from cars) is fairly minimal.
There is so much here that is still new and exciting but I feel like I am developing a better understanding of the people and this place that I can start to be constructively critical rather than only praiseful of the newness of it all. But I must say it is strange to think that we have almost been here for a full month. We’ve got three weeks of Swahili under our belts and are able to talk with people a little bit more each day. Things here are starting to become everyday routine and this place (LJS) is really starting to feel like home. I love the attitude that people here seem to have – that life is worth living to its fullest, no matter what and that people and relationships are of the utmost importance. But there are still things I see here that make my heart ache and motivate me.
Peace.

No comments: