Sunday, October 26, 2008

Wow, That Was Random.

Let’s see, over the past two days quite a bit has happened. Let me fill you in…
Friday two new students came to LJS. They are a young Swiss man and woman (both in their mid-20s). I have spent the past few nights talking to them about all sorts of things. We have talked about the lack of international knowledge on the part of most Americans quite a bit. Both have been very good about not just talking negatively about Americans, but being constructively critical and at the same time realizing that Americans aren’t the only ones who can be like that.
Yesterday we went to the Cattle Market again. I’ll just say that it is a lot more fun when you actually know some Massai. We kept having people come up to us that we had met on visits and they would ask us if we remembered them and then ask us the name of the village we met them in (quite a challenge when we barely find out the names of the villages). But it was really quite fun. We wandered around for a bit with Mchungaji and then we ate goat and while Mchungaji met with some men, we wandered around a bit more. The whole dead animal thing still is leading me towards being vegetarian… this time we got to the market earlier and saw the goats with their skin cut off and hanging (like last time) but many still had their heads and legs attached… not the most appetizing sight.
We got back from the Cattle Market around 4 yesterday and I went on a walk. I walked down the Old Morogoro Road, a minor ‘neighborhood’ right next to the school. It was really nice, I got the chance to talk to and greet people as I walked. One woman I walked with for a little ways was asking me about myself – in addition to making this place feel more like home, it boosted my confidence in my Swahili skills. But when I reached my turning point I saw a fruit/vegetable stand that had sugar cane. Since the boys really enjoy sugar cane I decided I would get a piece for them to share. Turns out the man who works there had worked here at LJS for two years. He was asking me about what I was doing in Tanzania and if I knew some of his friends who still work here. Then on my walk back, I heard a car honk behind me and all of a sudden Delta, Kidege, and Jimmy pulled over on the side of the road. They gave me a ride the rest of the way back to the seminary.
Then today we went to a harvest festival at a Waswahili (non-massai) village. First, the road (once we got off of the main road) was filled with little (but deep) dry water ravines so it was a good thing Luka drove us. The service was a Reformation Sunday service and we had guests from various Christian denominations (including several Catholics) and they all came up and shared in communion together… talk about not allowing boundaries get in the way of Christian fellowship! The service wasn’t too long but the auction afterwards lasted longer than the service did! It was the celebration of the harvest so people brought all sorts of different crops as offerings. There were also several chickens/roosters and a goat – which proved interesting when people take their offering up during the service. It definitely puts a new spin on the typical church send-off when the goat is trying to eat the string tying together the sugar cane and pooping in the middle of the church. The auction was fun since we now have enough Swahili to bid and have fun with it. There was a great deal of bidding between people and gift giving. I was given an orange and black kanga by one of the Catholic men. All I heard was ‘kwa Sara’ (for Sara) and then the auctioneer came over and gave me the kanga and then two women wrapped it around me!  And then Luka and PH bought all four of us baby coconuts. I in turn, gave a large majority of my coconut to some of the kids who were standing by me – don’t get me wrong, I love them. I just wanted to share the wealth. We ate as a community to celebrate the harvest and then we left.
Finally, tonight we went out to supper to celebrate Steve’s birthday (two weeks late – oops!). We went to a hotel restaurant that we had eaten at earlier for Kirsten’s birthday. As much as I enjoy the ooking at LJS, it was nice to be able to pick what I wanted to eat.
I almost forgot, I had two more shirts made – from a brown fabric with green butterflies and small flowers. I love them. And I bought some more fabric at the Cattle Market to have some more things made. I just can’t get over the fact that I pay about $7.50 USD to have a hand-made one-of-a-kind shirt made – and it supports the local economy! Life doesn’t get much better than that!
Peace.


Tim definitely loves when we have chickens in the car with us.
Goat in church.
The road... aka the real reason for having 4-wheel drive
Drawing in the dirt... it really is a universal activity.
Finally getting into the bubbles.
The stare down.
This little guy was so patient... he just waited until it was his turn... he also was crawling and 'posing' on the floor in the house for us during tea.
Took them awhile to open up to the idea of playing with the bubbles.


Tim modeling some massai beaded jewelry at the cattle market.
From the last Massai village... I was caught off guard when Moreto just handed me the spear for a picture.
Beautiful flowers all around... one of my favorites outside my room.
This tree is just outside LJS and looks like it is tying itself in knots.
Solomon's grave. RIP.

No comments: